Sunday, January 03, 2010

King of wood automotive crafts
" I've been designing and carving wood models for 35 years" states Pierre. "My handcraft wooden modles range from miniature cars to full size motorcycles."I preserve past and present elite stunt driver's legacys online at www.autothrillshows.com. I've been building models for them, including Jumper Evel Knievel's XR750 wooden Harley stunt bike that was built with his permission. My dad, Bobby Chance, worked for Evel in the 70's. I've also built the only official Vancouver Molson Indy wooden Firestone Fire Hawk replica model. The model is presently on display at the Agassiz public library"."I always had a passion for automobile things, crafting my vehicles out of oak, alder and black walnut, etc".Whether it's a boxy jalopy, a sleek and aero dynamic sports car, or a Chevy with oversized fins, I approach each piece with equal enthusiasm"."Every year, I handcraft wooden toys and donate several of my pieces to childrens hospitals"."I don't carve for money, but rather as a labour of love. This is also great therapy for me since my accident when I was hit by a car at the age of seven"."I have an entirely different and aesthetic vision; I transform the metal sculpted lines of vehicles into the warm radiance of wood'.'Ive parlayed my love of constructing vehicles into an art form, and have been winning raves at past shows from automotive enthousiasts"."As for Evel Knievel's wood model, I'm almost done and proudly plan to display my hand-crafted wooden classics at Harrison Hot Spring Beach for the public to view for free"."Folks can also visit my Art Gallery online at www.pierrelachance.com".